This site is all about finding a great computer science, information technology or other closely related class, school or degree program.
Computer Science is the discipline of managing the analysis, design, implementation, and application of processes that transform information. It is a discipline with historical foundations in mathematics, science, and engineering.
It is about topics such as computer design, computer programming, the communication of data, information processing, machine intelligence, the representation of data, and the algorithmic solution to a problem. Computer science is all about the concept of an algorithm, an outline of the steps necessary to solve a problem, and devising algorithms to solve problems within a computer language.
Computer science is a science with a strong foundation in theory and select application areas. It is the base for software engineering and is more focused on theories while the information technology field is more focused on actual practice.
Computer science has a closer relationship with mathematics than many other scientific disciplines. Computer science graduates develop competence in programming principles, problem-solving skills, mathematics, data manipulation, and computer applications.
Education and Career Training
If you want to have a career in the information technology or computer sciences field, you need a strong education.
A person can earn a diploma, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in a computer science field. While a simple diploma or certification is probably not enough to guarantee a good job, an associate’s degree will qualify good graduates for some entry-level jobs. A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science will go much further to qualify someone for any number of positions. And a Master of Science in Computer Science or Information Systems or Applied Computing will impress all but the most exclusive employers.
A student pursuing a CS degree will take courses in mathematics, English, physics and statistics. There will be much focus on the theory behind computing.
Students learn about technology, algorithms, programming, computer program design, networks and security, information management, computer management, coding, databases, and various operating systems and coding applications.
Programming classes will be on the essentials of designing, writing, testing, and maintaining source code. Programming languages, such as C, C++, Java and versions of HTML will be studied.
Graduates will understand the aspects of designing computer based systems. They may decide to concentrate in areas such as security management, decision support systems, network management, database management or software engineering management.
Students train to become technical problem solvers. In addition to their core computer science classes, students can broaden their skills by pursuing a minor in a variety of somewhat related fields such as physics, math, or electrical engineering.
If you aren’t sure that this is the field for you, you can enroll in an introductory course. These courses are intended for students who are interested in pursuing this major, but have no background in computing. An introduction class will present the fundamental concepts of this subject. Students learn basic problem-solving skills and then write simple programs. Students taking this class may discover whether or not they are suited to be a computer science major.
There are many schools to choose from. There are public and private, large and small, expensive and less-expensive, campus based or online.
Computer science is a great college major for students wanting to get into computer programming, software engineering, computer administration or network security careers. A computer science degree will help demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary for entry-level or mid-level positions.
Graduates often work as software engineers, computer programmers, database analysts, web developers, systems analysts, computer aided designers, network administrators, software developers, project managers or teachers.
This field is still growing rapidly and professionals earn a nice living performing interesting, valuable work.
Check out today’s schools:
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Database Management
- And more...
- ECPI’s online programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Courses utilize technology & simulation software to create real world experiences
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Electronics Engineering Technology - Associate's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Computer Science: Cyber-Security
- BS: Information Systems
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Join UC Berkeley Executive Education’s Blockchain online program to explore the possibilities.
- Blockchain is the underlying technology that makes crypto currencies like Bitcoin and Ripple possible
- Learn block chain with UC Berkeley Executive Education online.
- Machine Learning
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- And more...
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) has been awarding master’s and doctoral degrees for nearly 100 years. Through our new online learning format, CGU’s specialized master’s degree programs and world renowned faculty are now accessible to a broader community of students seeking a rigorous and relevant graduate degree.
- Masters of Science in Evaluation & Applied Research