This site is all about finding a great computer science, information technology or other closely related class, school or degree program.
Computer Science is the discipline of managing the analysis, design, implementation, and application of processes that transform information. It is a discipline with historical foundations in mathematics, science, and engineering.
It is about topics such as computer design, computer programming, the communication of data, information processing, machine intelligence, the representation of data, and the algorithmic solution to a problem. Computer science is all about the concept of an algorithm, an outline of the steps necessary to solve a problem, and devising algorithms to solve problems within a computer language.
Computer science is a science with a strong foundation in theory and select application areas. It is the base for software engineering and is more focused on theories while the information technology field is more focused on actual practice.
Computer science has a closer relationship with mathematics than many other scientific disciplines. Computer science graduates develop competence in programming principles, problem-solving skills, mathematics, data manipulation, and computer applications.
Education and Career Training
If you want to have a career in the information technology or computer sciences field, you need a strong education.
A person can earn a diploma, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in a computer science field. While a simple diploma or certification is probably not enough to guarantee a good job, an associate’s degree will qualify good graduates for some entry-level jobs. A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science will go much further to qualify someone for any number of positions. And a Master of Science in Computer Science or Information Systems or Applied Computing will impress all but the most exclusive employers.
A student pursuing a CS degree will take courses in mathematics, English, physics and statistics. There will be much focus on the theory behind computing.
Students learn about technology, algorithms, programming, computer program design, networks and security, information management, computer management, coding, databases, and various operating systems and coding applications.
Programming classes will be on the essentials of designing, writing, testing, and maintaining source code. Programming languages, such as C, C++, Java and versions of HTML will be studied.
Graduates will understand the aspects of designing computer based systems. They may decide to concentrate in areas such as security management, decision support systems, network management, database management or software engineering management.
Students train to become technical problem solvers. In addition to their core computer science classes, students can broaden their skills by pursuing a minor in a variety of somewhat related fields such as physics, math, or electrical engineering.
If you aren’t sure that this is the field for you, you can enroll in an introductory course. These courses are intended for students who are interested in pursuing this major, but have no background in computing. An introduction class will present the fundamental concepts of this subject. Students learn basic problem-solving skills and then write simple programs. Students taking this class may discover whether or not they are suited to be a computer science major.
There are many schools to choose from. There are public and private, large and small, expensive and less-expensive, campus based or online.
Computer science is a great college major for students wanting to get into computer programming, software engineering, computer administration or network security careers. A computer science degree will help demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary for entry-level or mid-level positions.
Graduates often work as software engineers, computer programmers, database analysts, web developers, systems analysts, computer aided designers, network administrators, software developers, project managers or teachers.
This field is still growing rapidly and professionals earn a nice living performing interesting, valuable work.
Check out today’s schools:
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Application and Database Development
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Data Networking and Security
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Electronics Engineering Technology - Associate's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Masters in Information Technology Management
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Associate of Science in Computer Science
- And more...
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Classes start on July 9
- Software Development for Creative Technologies (Bachelor of Science)
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science