This site is all about finding a great computer science, information technology or other closely related class, school or degree program.
Computer Science is the discipline of managing the analysis, design, implementation, and application of processes that transform information. It is a discipline with historical foundations in mathematics, science, and engineering.
It is about topics such as computer design, computer programming, the communication of data, information processing, machine intelligence, the representation of data, and the algorithmic solution to a problem. Computer science is all about the concept of an algorithm, an outline of the steps necessary to solve a problem, and devising algorithms to solve problems within a computer language.
Computer science is a science with a strong foundation in theory and select application areas. It is the base for software engineering and is more focused on theories while the information technology field is more focused on actual practice.
Computer science has a closer relationship with mathematics than many other scientific disciplines. Computer science graduates develop competence in programming principles, problem-solving skills, mathematics, data manipulation, and computer applications.
Education and Career Training
If you want to have a career in the information technology or computer sciences field, you need a strong education.
A person can earn a diploma, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in a computer science field. While a simple diploma or certification is probably not enough to guarantee a good job, an associate’s degree will qualify good graduates for some entry-level jobs. A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science will go much further to qualify someone for any number of positions. And a Master of Science in Computer Science or Information Systems or Applied Computing will impress all but the most exclusive employers.
A student pursuing a CS degree will take courses in mathematics, English, physics and statistics. There will be much focus on the theory behind computing.
Students learn about technology, algorithms, programming, computer program design, networks and security, information management, computer management, coding, databases, and various operating systems and coding applications.
Programming classes will be on the essentials of designing, writing, testing, and maintaining source code. Programming languages, such as C, C++, Java and versions of HTML will be studied.
Graduates will understand the aspects of designing computer based systems. They may decide to concentrate in areas such as security management, decision support systems, network management, database management or software engineering management.
Students train to become technical problem solvers. In addition to their core computer science classes, students can broaden their skills by pursuing a minor in a variety of somewhat related fields such as physics, math, or electrical engineering.
If you aren’t sure that this is the field for you, you can enroll in an introductory course. These courses are intended for students who are interested in pursuing this major, but have no background in computing. An introduction class will present the fundamental concepts of this subject. Students learn basic problem-solving skills and then write simple programs. Students taking this class may discover whether or not they are suited to be a computer science major.
There are many schools to choose from. There are public and private, large and small, expensive and less-expensive, campus based or online.
Computer science is a great college major for students wanting to get into computer programming, software engineering, computer administration or network security careers. A computer science degree will help demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary for entry-level or mid-level positions.
Graduates often work as software engineers, computer programmers, database analysts, web developers, systems analysts, computer aided designers, network administrators, software developers, project managers or teachers.
This field is still growing rapidly and professionals earn a nice living performing interesting, valuable work.
Check out today’s schools:
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Information Technology (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- And more...
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- MS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Electronics Engineering Technology - Associate's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Bachelor’s program options include Cybersecurity, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, and more.
- A BAS in Information Systems Technology is also available for students who already hold an A.A.S degree.
- Regent University’s tech programs are designed to prepare students for careers in Software Development and Engineering, Computer Information Security, Network Administration, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- And more...
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Software Development for Creative Technologies (Bachelor of Science)
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online Master of Science in Software Development