This site is all about finding a great computer science, information technology or other closely related class, school or degree program.
Computer Science is the discipline of managing the analysis, design, implementation, and application of processes that transform information. It is a discipline with historical foundations in mathematics, science, and engineering.
It is about topics such as computer design, computer programming, the communication of data, information processing, machine intelligence, the representation of data, and the algorithmic solution to a problem. Computer science is all about the concept of an algorithm, an outline of the steps necessary to solve a problem, and devising algorithms to solve problems within a computer language.
Computer science is a science with a strong foundation in theory and select application areas. It is the base for software engineering and is more focused on theories while the information technology field is more focused on actual practice.
Computer science has a closer relationship with mathematics than many other scientific disciplines. Computer science graduates develop competence in programming principles, problem-solving skills, mathematics, data manipulation, and computer applications.
Education and Career Training
If you want to have a career in the information technology or computer sciences field, you need a strong education.
A person can earn a diploma, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in a computer science field. While a simple diploma or certification is probably not enough to guarantee a good job, an associate’s degree will qualify good graduates for some entry-level jobs. A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science will go much further to qualify someone for any number of positions. And a Master of Science in Computer Science or Information Systems or Applied Computing will impress all but the most exclusive employers.
A student pursuing a CS degree will take courses in mathematics, English, physics and statistics. There will be much focus on the theory behind computing.
Students learn about technology, algorithms, programming, computer program design, networks and security, information management, computer management, coding, databases, and various operating systems and coding applications.
Programming classes will be on the essentials of designing, writing, testing, and maintaining source code. Programming languages, such as C, C++, Java and versions of HTML will be studied.
Graduates will understand the aspects of designing computer based systems. They may decide to concentrate in areas such as security management, decision support systems, network management, database management or software engineering management.
Students train to become technical problem solvers. In addition to their core computer science classes, students can broaden their skills by pursuing a minor in a variety of somewhat related fields such as physics, math, or electrical engineering.
If you aren’t sure that this is the field for you, you can enroll in an introductory course. These courses are intended for students who are interested in pursuing this major, but have no background in computing. An introduction class will present the fundamental concepts of this subject. Students learn basic problem-solving skills and then write simple programs. Students taking this class may discover whether or not they are suited to be a computer science major.
There are many schools to choose from. There are public and private, large and small, expensive and less-expensive, campus based or online.
Computer science is a great college major for students wanting to get into computer programming, software engineering, computer administration or network security careers. A computer science degree will help demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary for entry-level or mid-level positions.
Graduates often work as software engineers, computer programmers, database analysts, web developers, systems analysts, computer aided designers, network administrators, software developers, project managers or teachers.
This field is still growing rapidly and professionals earn a nice living performing interesting, valuable work.
Check out today’s schools:
- Grand Canyon University's online technology programs offer a premier educational experience designed to lead you to a career in science, technology, engineering and math.
- The College of Science, Engineering and Technology strives to create a challenging and engaging, inquiry-based learning environment.
- Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, such as cybersecurity, computer programming, information technology, business analytics and more.
- GCU's education nurtures and supports a Christian worldview, which informs ethical decision-making.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- Value investing is an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value. Enroll today.
- The Value Investing (Online) program provides you with an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss. Apply Now.
- The Value Investing (Online) program is designed to give you a strong foundation in one of the most successful investment strategies ever developed.
- Follow in the footsteps of legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, who have been guided by these principles during their entire career.
- Machine Learning